Facebook ‘Retiring’ Options for Boosting Posts

Do you normally click on the ‘boost post’ button to advertise on Facebook?

It can be a quick and easy way to advertise: you create your post, pay a few of pounds (or more if you wish) and your content is seen by more people. However, we typically advise our clients to use Facebook Ads Manager instead since there are more options to target your advert effectively, along with a call to action button – bringing better results.

Facebook have just announced that they will be reducing the amount of targeting options on ‘Boost Posts’ even more. Some post types will not be available to ‘boost’ – it seems these include boosting Notes, Life Events, File Uploads, Polls and more. Facebook says “advertisers rarely promote these post types, and when they did, results were not as strong as results with our more popular ad formats”.  There have also been concerns that if you regularly boost posts, you may find that your regular Facebook posts have a drop in reach – and you don’t want that!

Although this may seem like a small change with regard to boosted posts, Facebook are being more active in urging businesses to use the Facebook Ads Manager instead. They say in their recent blog “The easiest way to select a supported ad format that will meet business objectives is to create an ad in Ads Manager”. Social Media specialist Mari Smith also says “only 10% of your ads on Facebook should be through the Boost Post button, the other 90% should be through Ads Manager for better results”.

So we highly recommend you make yourself familiar with Ads Manager – you will see better results if you use it effectively! To find your Ads Manager, go to your business page, click on the arrow to the right of your name in the top right hand corner and click on ‘Manage Adverts’. If you haven’t already created an account, it will prompt you to do so.

Have you had good or bad results with boosting posts? We’d love to hear…

More free marketing advice:

For more handy tips on social media updates, please see our blog and browse our blog categories. If you don’t want to miss future blog posts about marketing and social media, please sign up to our email newsletter (see right hand column). You can also follow us on social media – Facebook  Twitter  LinkedIn  Google+  YouTube  Instagram Snapchat.

If you think this was interesting and could be useful to others, please share a link to this page ... thanks!Share on Facebook
Tweet about this on Twitter
Share on LinkedIn
Share on Google+
Email this to someone

Leave a Reply

Whether you need just an hour of help, a plan or regular outsourced support, we are passionate about understanding your customers and delivering cost-effective and measurable marketing activities.

Sign up for more free marketing advice via email


Typically once per month. You can opt out at any time - find out more in our privacy policy.

Thank you! (Please check your inbox, including your spam folder, to confirm your subscription)