Updated January 2019
Asking your customers for Google reviews is another excellent step to help your rankings in Google’s search engine results… as well as encourage new customers to buy from you.
If you have received great comments from customers, why not ask them to leave the review on Google?
It’s a good idea to ask all customers to leave you a review… but you need a Google page for your business first. (Note: it may not be advisable to ask everyone at once – this can look unnatural to Google.)
It may be that you need to email customers a link to leave a Google review, or set up a reviews link on your website or email newsletter. This blog will explain how you can create that link and best advise clients on how to leave your business a Google review.
Don’t have a Google Page for your business yet?
This is important to help with your search engine optimisation. If you have a fully populated Google My Business page for each of your business locations, and good SEO, you may appear on page 1 of Google (in the maps area or as a featured box (‘knowledge panel’) on the right hand side) for relevant location searches. Here’s how you get started with setting one up:
- go to www.google.com and click on the blue “sign in” button in the top right hand corner to log in to your personal google account (or set one up)
- then visit this page: https://www.google.com/business (you can create 2 business pages or more if you have more than one physical location.)
Let us know if you need help with setting up Google My Business for your organisation and help with all aspects of SEO.
Now back to client Google reviews….
To leave a Google review, your customer needs to have a Google account – that means one of the following types of Google account: Gmail, YouTube, Google Play, Google Drive etc. If your customer has one of these, they can easily leave a review.
If they don’t have any type of Google account they will need to create one before being able to leave a review. (This could put some people off, but most people need a Google account in the end… or you can always ask them to leave a review on LinkedIn, Facebook, Trip Advisor, Checkatrade or other relevant review site instead perhaps!)
Ask your clients to give a Google review
This is a quick and easy process (typically!) – simply create a link and send it to your customers so they can leave a review for your business. You can see an example of how this works by clicking on this link for Pearce Marketing (there is a slight delay for the pop up review box to appear in the middle of the screen on PC/laptop). Follow the instructions below to get the equivalent link for your business. You will need to create this link on a mobile device, using the Google Chrome app, in order for it to work across multiple devices.
However, if you do not have a mobile device with Google Chrome as your web browser you will need to follow a different set of instructions, see below. Or to make life easier, just download the Google Chrome app on your phone!
How to create the Google review link using the Google Chrome web browser on a mobile:
Follow the steps (and see the ‘how to’ video) below:
- go to Google Chrome on your mobile and type in the name of your business in the search box
- on the search results page, scroll down to the Google entry showing all of your company information (eg links to call, your directions and website). Click on the ‘reviews’ tab between ‘overview’ and ‘about’.
- on the reviews page, scroll down until you can see the five grey stars. Click on any of the stars. This will take you to a new page called ‘rate and review’
- you need to copy the link for this page and give it to your clients. Find the link by tapping the grey box at the top of your screen, the link will then appear. Press and hold on the link and the following options will appear ‘Select’, ‘Select All’, ‘Paste’ and ‘Paste and Go’, choose ‘Select All’. New options will appear ‘Cut’, ‘Copy’, ‘Paste’ and ‘Paste and Go’, choose Copy. This link is now ‘copied’ for you to paste in your emails to clients etc.
And that’s it. Send this link to your customers with an intro and a big thank you!
Instructions when you do not have access to Google Chrome mobile web browser:
It is not possible to give a direct link to the ‘rate and review’ page if you use Google search on Safari or other web browsers (ie not Google Chrome). You will simply have to ask your clients to follow the instructions below on their mobile or laptop:
- go to Google search and type in your business name
- on the results page, scroll down to the Google entry showing all of your company information (eg links to call, your directions and website). Click on the ‘reviews’ tab between ‘overview’ and ‘about’.
- on the reviews page, scroll down until you can see the five grey stars. Click on the stars to give a score out of 5. This will take you to a new page called ‘rate and review’. This is where your clients can type in a review.
- go to Google search and type in your business name
- in the search results you will see either:
- your company profile (photos, name, address etc.) on the right hand side of the screen with a ‘write a review’ button.
- or a large map with your name listed below. Click on your company name. On the next screen scroll to see the the ‘write a review’ button.
- a box will pop up where you can give a star rating (click on the stars to give a score out of 5) and type your review underneath. You can also add photos. When you are done, click the ‘POST’ button.
We hope that helps!
Let us know how you get on… you can read lots more useful stuff about marketing, networking and social media on our blog (check out the topic categories in the right hand column). Do contact us if you have any questions – we’re happy to help.