How do I use Facebook Live?
Date: 30 April 2019
Using video in your marketing is so important for gaining engagement. But have you used Facebook live video yet?
What is Facebook Live?
It’s a real-time video streaming feature on Facebook that allows you to broadcast a live video to your followers/friends through your company/personal page. This was first released in early 2016 but many businesses aren’t using it yet. Those that are, are definitely seeing the benefits.
Once a Facebook Live video is created it will be visible in the ‘videos’ section on your page for viewers who missed the live event.
Your live video can show up in news feed and people may also receive a notification telling them you’re doing a live video. If people click on the notification they are immediately taken to watch your video.
Why should I use Facebook Live?
You could be using this tool to raise your brand awareness, get more leads in the door or increase interactions with current customers. Here are five ways why you should be using Facebook Live:
- Connecting with your customers, showing them the real you – you can treat the live video essentially like meeting your customers in person. It allows you to show your business personality, demonstrate your expertise and helpfulness, that you are a friendly person to work with – which all helps build trust.
- Showcase an event you’re attending – if someone from your team is speaking at a local event, this provides a great reason to go ‘live’. You can share the content with people who can not attend the event so they don’t miss out. Plus, you’re not having to think of new video content because you’re already prepared and doing it! One thing to bear in mind is that you must have a strong enough internet connection when doing this.
- Allows you to answer questions in real time – if a follower has a question, you can answer it there and then. It’s a great opportunity to engage with your customers. An effective way of doing this is to create a ‘series’ where you appear live at the same time and day of the week for a period of time. You could then build up a following and your customers will know exactly when you’re appearing online.
- Show who you are as a business – behind the scenes – you can show off your values and behind the business footage. This could be just around the office, interviewing employees, sharing a sneak peek into a company outing or charity event etc.
- Share industry related news – by keeping your audience informed of industry trends (but not being salesy) also builds your reputation. Your customers will start to turn to you as their expert source of information.
How do I do a Facebook Live?
You need a mobile device or a desktop computer/laptop that has a solid camera or webcam with a microphone.
Here’s how you get started:
- Start as if you’re going to write a post, then on both mobile and desktop you’ll see the option of ‘Live Video’, click on this
- Then write a description about the video ie ‘We’re here at Brighton Business Expo for Emma’s talk on top tips for digital marketing. Please ask any questions and she can answer them in the Q&A session!’. It’s great to create a sense of curiosity so keep this in mind when writing the video text.
- Get in position and click ‘Start Live Video’.
- Once your video has ended, click on ‘Finish’. Tip: remember to say goodbye and thank you to everyone watching etc. Maybe even mention a couple of people if they have asked a question and thank them for getting involved.
You can then post your live video on your business page which allows people who didn’t see the live version to not miss out.
Before going live, you should get comfortable behind the camera and do a few test videos that are restricted for only you to see. You can’t do this on a business page, but test it out on your personal page. Choose ‘Only Me’ before recording.
By doing this it will allow you to ensure the lighting, the sound and area you’re filming in will work before actually doing a Live Video. Don’t forget you can download your Facebook Live video to add to your YouTube channel!
Read our next blog about Facebook Live – giving you 13 Top Tips for Facebook Live Success!
Now you’ve tested and tried it’s time to do the real thing… Did you know we offer Facebook training? We can help you become confident in using this social media for your business as well as helping you with content ideas. Please contact us if you have any questions – we’d love to help you.