Women in Networking (WIN) Review
Date: 16 February 2016
The Business Network Column from Platinum Business Magazine
Review – Women in Networking (WIN)
By Emma Pearce – Marketing Consultant – marketing planning, outsourced marketing and social media training
Emma Pearce gives a more detailed insight into the WIN network for women business owners in Buxted, near Uckfield.
This network is a non-profit-making group that hosts female business owners that typically come from or are networking in the Lewes, Uckfield, Eastbourne and Tunbridge Wells areas. There is a great mix of start-ups, growing or well established companies represented across both business-to-business (B2B) and business-to-consumer (B2C) sectors.
There is no membership fee, it’s just pay-as-you-go via Eventbrite for a lunch at Buxted Park Hotel each month. One attendee said that they loved the group because “every month has a slightly different mix of people, with some familiar faces but always new people too.”
The group is managed by Jane Doswell and Chloe Eason. Jane explained that “any profits are reinvested into putting on a fabulous Christmas party evening and general marketing costs each month.”
Jane added that the reasons the group is popular are “the wonderful venue and the relaxed atmosphere while still ensuring that the benefits of business networking are achieved.” She believes that women are usually very interested in finding out more about each other and it is this deeper level of understanding and friendship that builds relationships that bring in business.
The format of the meeting:
- 30 minutes open networking with everyone attending the event
- Sit down around the one large oval table and pass around business cards
- 1-2 minute round where each person can speak about their business, what they are looking for and share knowledge (with a call to action if you are maximising this opportunity!)
- Enjoy a fabulous lunch provided by the Buxted Park Hotel
- Listen to a speaker for 10 minutes with time for Q&A
- More open networking if you wish to stay, or take the opportunity to have a 1-2-1 conversation with another business owner
The speaker slot is an opportunity for any business to take to the floor – whether you attend the group regularly or not. The cost to be a speaker is £50 and you will be promoted in the email marketing reminders to all those signed up to receive notifications about events, as well as the Eventbrite booking page.
- Location: Buxted Park Hotel, Buxted, near Uckfield
- Frequency: Once per month on the second Wednesday, plus a Christmas evening event also at the Buxted Park Hotel (17 December 2015)
- Size: 15-20 attendees
- Time: 12.15 – 2.30 pm
- Lock out: No (except for duplicate multi-level marketing organisations)
- 1 Minute Round: Yes, 1-2 minutes
- Speaker slot: Yes – £50 fee to be the featured speaker
- Cost: £22 plus the £2.09 fee for Eventbrite
If you would like to be added to the mailing list for this networking group, please contact
Chloe Eason via firstname.lastname@example.org and 07729 458893 or
Jane Doswell via email@example.com and 07834 769324.
Why not read our other networking blogs…
- Networking is it really worth it?
- Tips and ideas for your 1 minute networking presentation
- Business Networking events in East Sussex for Men and Women
Find out more about our marketing consultancy and outsourced marketing services.